RIDDOR Guidelines


What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR is an acronym for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations. These regulations place a duty on employers, the self employed or those in control of premises to report some accidents and incidents at work. This includes all incidences of diseases and dangerous occurrences. The regulations were updated on the 1st October 2013 and so new some changes have recently come into force.

Reporting Incidents

There is a single point of contact for reporting under RIDDOR and this is the Incident Contact Centre (ICC), after reporting an incident, all details should be kept for 3 years.

Not all incidents need to be reported under RIDDOR, an incident only needs to be reported when the incident is work related and it results in an injury that is of a ‘reportable’ type. These ‘reportable’ injuries include:

  • A death of an employee;
  • A death or major injury to a member of the public where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital;
  • A major injury, such as a broken arm or leg, an amputation injury, loss of sight or burning.
  • A dangerous occurrence, e.g. a fire or explosion which stops work for more than 24 hours;
  • An over-seven-day injury. I.e. where an employee cannot perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days.
  • Work related diseases also need to be reported under RIDDOR. Some agricultural diseases that are included in this are:
  • Most zoonoses (diseases passed from animals to humans);
  •  Conditions due to work with organophosphates;
  • Dermatitis from work with many products used in agriculture, including certain plants;
  • Extrinsic alveolitis (including farmer’s lung) from exposure to moulds and spores in agriculture;
  • Asthma from exposure to dusts and animals;

Recording of Incidents

It is vital that all ‘reportable’ incidents are reported to the Incident Contact Centre but it is also very important that all incidents are recorded correctly. These records can help when conducting future risk assessments and can help to prevent further injuries.

Anything that is reported under RIDDOR needs to be recorded. You also need to record any occupational accidents that result in a worker being away from work for more than three consecutive days. (You only need to report these incidents if they result in an employee being away from work for more than seven consecutive days however).

If you have any concerns after reading this information or would like some help with RIDDOR on your farm, please get in contact with us.


Farm Safety

Farmer feeding his grop in the springtime

We are specialist agricultural Health & Safety advisors – we only work for farms and estates. This means we are the experts on Farm Safety. Operating nationally with local staff in each part of the country, if you are concerned about farm safety then our bespoke services are right for you.